Sunday, October 9, 2011

"What a drag it is getting old...."

This song from the Rolling Stones was all too familiar this morning. I had to literally drag myself out of bed to go for a long run (11 miles). The weather was not helping at all nor was the fact that I was still trying to recouperate from a very 'fun' Friday night.
I surely thought I was turning green on Saturday-thankfully, I didn't! Whew!

I'm sad to say that I didn't have a 'mother's little helper' to get me out of bed, as the song goes on to say.
Do you notice, as you age, that it takes longer to recouperate...from anything? All the vitamins in the world, and I take a lot, don't seem to help sometimes.
Moving on...I'm in training (if that's what you want to call it) for my 3rd half, the inaugural Savannah Rock n Roll Marathon. What fun this will be! It will be my first RnR series.
I would love to set a PR (personal record, for you non-runners). But that may not happen. So, instead I will just be happy with finishing. And, then, it's on to the mega-party afterwards!
So, as I ran today, my thoughts rambled a lot, as I was trying to distract myself from every new little pain I experienced today. Even Usher or Eminem couldn't distract me today.
I won't bore you with the details but sometimes you have to push through the pain.
But, as usual, I did come across a couple of things to make me laugh:
1) Grandma passed me, twice. Hey, I didn't say I was fast!
2) Another grandma was seen wearing those funny, new little sock shoe-thingy's...the verdict is still out on those, in my opinion. But, one thing's for sure, her feet must not hurt like mine or she would be wearing something with a little more support. :)
3) I found someone doing this...or maybe she was sleeping. I couldn't tell.

But, it did get better.
As I was coming in to mile 10, I saw my knight in shining armor from a distance, except on a bicycle, and he wasn't there to sweep me away... but something wayyyy better...a gatorade!
My hubby! He is the bestest sometimes.

Of course this is not what my hub looks like-he has dark hair, not white, yet..
I would like to say that completed my run..but there's more. It started raining. Geez.
Up until this point, it looked like it was going to rain the entire 2 hrs. But, fortunately it held off until the last mile.
So, I stood under a shelter for 15 minutes until the heavy stuff passed.
Before you think or say it, I am well aware that I will not melt..but I figured that the Garmin on my wrist and new Ipod (my 3rd-ugh!) didn't need to get wet.
Then, I was homeward bound.
What a run! It was almost more like a HOT MESS!
So, this 2nd glass of vino is cheers to a run...done!

Do you ever have those days of exercise when it seems like nothing goes right?
How do you get through it?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage comments. However, please be kind..or I will have to delete your comment! :)